How to choose a Jamstack agency in 2022
Looking for the right Jamstack agency is much easier said than done. When you start researching, you may find dozens of agencies, but not all of them will suit your business. Some may have a completely different organizational culture to your own company, and others may be in a time zone that doesn’t work for you.
When you decide on your next project –be it a simple static website or a more complex site with dynamic elements– a Jamstack agency like Ikius can help you take the following steps. We can help you plan, create, and implement a Jamstack site.
With that said, choosing the right agency can be tricky, and you want to select the best one, but how do you make sure you’re making the right decision? This article gives you a step-by-step guide on choosing the best agency for your next project.
Step 1: Set your business goals, features, and needs
Before looking at agencies, you need to know what you need from one. The way to do this is by looking at your business goals, the features you want, and what you need to achieve both. Suppose you are uncertain how a modern web development architecture like Jamstack can help you achieve those goals. In that case, we can help you understand not only the Jamstack architecture but also how it can help your business grow.
- Start by brainstorming goals for your site to achieve. This can include scaling, adding multilingual capacities, or raising the security of your site. Whatever it is, make sure it is clear and specific, as this helps an agency understand how they can help you.
- Next, note any features or functionalities you want to have. If you are unsure, create a list of websites with similar functionalities or a list of tools and platforms you want to integrate.
- After clarifying your goal(s) and desired features, write down what you need to achieve both. This includes a timeline or specific technologies you want to use.
Step 2: Investigate different Jamstack agencies
You have your goals and budget list and are ready to start looking at agencies. The easiest way to do this is by visiting an agency’s website. The site will contain a lot of useful information, but looks can be misleading. Here are some specific things you should focus on when choosing a Jamstack agency.
- Location: There are agencies located throughout the globe. Make sure to find out an agency's time zone and decide if the time difference will be too much of a problem.
- Portfolio: Ideally, you’ll work with an agency with experience in your industry and niche. This agency will also have several completed projects that are similar to yours. With that said, that is not always possible. In addition, it may not be necessary. The essential items on their portfolio are Jamstack experience and various projects completed. By doing this, you ensure that the agency has a qualified team with relevant and industry experience.
Step 3: Choose a Jamstack agency
You’ve probably heard of the Jamstack architecture before. It is quickly becoming the new de facto architecture for the web. It helps developers, marketers, and business owners alike have a more effortless experience. Yet, it is still a new architecture. That means that not every company knows Jamstack.
Let’s take a step back and imagine building a house. You have two construction companies to choose from. The first has built over a hundred homes in your area. The second has only built apartment complexes. Clearly, you would select the first one as their experience best matches your needs.
That’s the same reason why you would want to choose a Jamstack agency over another. When you build a Jamstack site, choosing a Jamstack agency like Ikius ensures that you have an experienced partner by your side that has the relevant knowledge, experience, and ability to lead your project smoothly from beginning to end.
However, while you could definitely attempt to build a Jamstack website without a Jamstack agency, this comes with several disadvantages such as the following:
- Lack of Jamstack expertise: Jamstack has a totally different methodology than monolithic architecture. While a skilled agency may build a Jamstack site, they will be slower and will cost you more. Plus, without sufficient knowledge of Jamstack, a non-Jamstack agency may implement the solution wrong, causing you to spend more effort to fix it.
- Improper task and time prioritization: As a Jamstack agency, we understand how much time a project will take and we’re capable of prioritizing. We know that Jamstack is different from the traditional architecture. It has different tools and frameworks. Without enough knowledge in these tools and frameworks, you could jeopardize your website’s health or even fail altogether.
What makes Ikius the best Jamstack agency
By now, you probably know that a Jamstack agency can give you an edge over the competition, but what makes a Jamstack partner great? Well, the best Jamstack agency should be:
- Industry experience: We’ve been into Jamstack web development since Jamstack’s inception. We have the knowledge and the connections to help you build a Jamstack website following the best practices. Our experience in the Jamstack ecosystem allows us to match both tools and solutions to help you in your particular industry. This also allows them to best assist you with making technical decisions.
- Specialist knowledge: The right Jamstack agency doesn’t just know Jamstack and its related technologies. We understand these technologies and have the skills to leverage them properly. In the Jamstack ecosystem,meaning, the ability to choose and use technologies like frameworks, reusable API, static site generators, knowledge of popular frontend frameworks like React.js, Node.js, and Vue.js; and competency with Progressive Web Applications (PWA) and SaaS-based digital products.
- Solid timelines: While a lot of things can change during a project, we manage to deliver on time. This means that the project will meet all agreed requirements spanning from budget to deadlines. In other words, if the project isn’t changed much throughout the process, your site will be delivered without any issues.
Step 4: Get your questions ready
If you find an agency you like, it’s time to put together a list of questions and contact them. This helps you make the final decision on if an agency is skillful or not. You should include both general and technical questions on this list of questions.
General questions help you understand what you can expect from the agency while working with them. You’ll want to ask about their approach to quality assurance, their past collaborations, and their team, among others. Here are a few examples to get you started:
- What was your longest project?
- Do you take part in community activities?
- Can you share your developers’ profiles?
Technical questions help you trust that the agency knows what they’re doing. To the non-technical-minded, these questions seem daunting.
Here are a couple of examples:
- How to ensure website quality?
- Can you explain how a headless content management system is different from a traditional one like WordPress?
- Can you explain how the Jamstack methodology affects SEO and UX? How does that affect my particular project?
Step 5: Verify all the information and reach out to the agency’s past clients
Once you’ve got an answer to every question you had in mind, it’s time to verify that everything the agency has said holds true. It’s important to reach out to the agency’s past clients because that gives you an unbiased opinion of the work the agency has performed.
Alternatively, look for case studies, reviews, and testimonials from clients on the agency’s website and peer-reviewed review websites.
Ikius: The best Jamstack agency
Finding the best Jamstack agency looks like a hard task, but it doesn’t have to be. Ikius is a Nordic agency that specializes in Jamstack development. Our boutique approach ensures that all our clients close attention throughout the implementation process, from start to finish. We partner with you to deliver enterprise-grade da challenging products that scale with you.
If you’re looking for a Jamstack partner or you’re curious about how Jamstack technology can improve your digital footprint, contact us, and let’s chat.